Parade participants should report no later than 9:30 a.m. on the day of the parade September 24, 2015 to the parking lot next to the Pick of the Litter Thrift Shop at 1127 Chula Vista (near Broadway). The parade will start and end at this location.
The parade will start at 10 a.m. and will march up Broadway to Capuchino, where it will turn right and circle back down Broadway. The entire parade consists of a leisurely stroll that takes about 30 minutes. Broadway will remain closed to through traffic for another hour after the parade, when viewers and participants can enjoy music by participating bands, shop at local stores and enjoy a snack at a restaurant .
Judging will take place during and after the parade. The judges will select approximately 6 finalists in each category prior to and during the parade. They will make their final selection of the category winners and the Grand Prize winner immediately after the parade at the judging & review stand on Broadway adjacent to the Broadway Grill.
This year, for the first time, local schools are invited to compete in a special “Best School Float” contest. All public and private schools in San Mateo County that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade are eligible. The winning school will receive a check for $500 from the Broadway Merchants Association. School groups must register in advance by contacting Ayn Gilmore at AVR Realty in Burlingame at email@example.com.
Ribbons will be awarded for:
- Best Dressed Pet
- Most Unusual Pet
- Best Pet Trick
- Best School Float
- Most Original Float, Group or Wagon (non-school category).
- Grand Prize Winner
- A “float” can be elaborate or as simple as a decorated bicycle, wagon or kiddie car.
- Only non-motorized floats are eligible and each float must include at least one pet.
- No political entries are permitted
- All types of pets are welcome. Children without pets are encouraged to bring stuffed animals.
- Groups are encouraged to identify themselves with a banner or sign.